- Women’s March on Washington: I love it that women are organizing and coming together as a group in many countries to fight for their rights.
- Women officers in the Indian armed forces are given only Short Service Commissions, resulting in lower job security and inferior retirement benefits relative to male officers. The Indian Supreme Court ruled in favor of a female Indian Air Force Officer fighting against this discriminatory practice.
- Claudia Goldin and Joshua Mitchell have a new working paper on the changed lifecycle of women’s employment in the United States.
- Are women really happier than men around the world? No, according to a new paper by Mallory Montgomery (on the econ job market). In fact, on average, women are less happy than men. (h/t Development Impact)
- Why do harmful norms persist? Lindsey Novak, also on the job market, examines the case of female genital cutting in Burkina Faso. (h/t Development Impact)